What is a Cookie?
An HTTP cookie (also called web cookie, Internet cookie, browser cookie, or simply cookie) is a small piece of data sent from a website and stored on the user’s computer by the user’s web browser while the user is browsing. Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember stateful information (such as items added in the shopping cart in an online store) or to record the user’s browsing activity (including clicking particular buttons, logging in, or recording which pages were visited in the past). They can also be used to remember pieces of information that the user previously entered into form fields, such as names, addresses, passwords, and credit-card numbers. Source: wiki
Cookie Consent Notice WordPress Plugins
As a WordPress website user, I started to research what plugins where available on WordPress.org/plugins
- Customizable message
- Redirects users to specified page for more information
- Multiple cookie expiry options
- Option to accept the notice on scroll, to set on scroll offset, accept the notice with any page click, refuse the consent, revoke the consent, manually block scripts, reload the page after accepting the notice
- Animate the container after the notice is accepted
- Select from 3 buttons style
- Set the text and bar background colors
- WPML and Polylang compatible
- SEO friendly
- .pot file for translations included
The Cookie Notice plugin seemed ideal but I wanted to check a couple of details first:
- Was the banner subtle and noticeable – I did not want a huge popup blocking my screen
- Can it blend in with my branding colours and formatting
- It needs to be up-to-date and tested with the latest version of WordPress (stated next to the plugin). I always stay away from out of date plugins as this is how Malware and Spammers attack websites.
- Is it easy to install!
- Free or Paid – Is there is a cost or upgrade options available if required. Some plugins offer a free version and an upgrade for additional features.
Below is an example of the installation screen …
I have since added a No as an option.
If you would like help with your cookie notice please get in touch.